Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

one big crappy family

Frank:

Thanks for the link to the Paul Krugman article.  I have to confess that I read Krugman articles the way I accused you of reading my stuff.... I usually just skim them.  Sadly, the reason for that is that his arguments are too intellectual and difficult to easily follow.  Maybe if he drew funny cartoons to accompany the writing and included a few fart jokes?  It's surprising that I haven't become a convert of Rush Limbaugh or someone like that.  Someone who requires absolutely no thinking. 

Krugman makes an interesting point that Germany benefited from the period when Greece and Spain and all those other good-for-nothing lazy countries were living it up and spending way beyond their means, and buying a bunch of German-made stuff, among other things.  I tend to feel sorry for the Germans.  It seems like they were following the rules and being responsible and all that, and now they're on the hook for their asshole neighbors' foolishness.  But maybe it's not that simple.

Thanks for the good explanation of your beliefs, determinism vs. free will.  Reading it was almost as demanding as reading Paul Krugman, actually, but I hung in there and think I understood it.  I have to stand up a little for the Jews.  It's true they seem to like to be center stage, and that they generally like money.  I think of it more that they love success and accomplishment, and they're good at it, and money is the primary gauge of success and accomplishment.  On the other hand, either because of genes or upbringing, Jews also seem to be more likely to be good-doers, and philanthropic, than the average non-Jew, though you might not be aware of it, because a lot of their good deeds are directed back to the Jewish community.  Jews are raised with a strong moral ethic that you should "give back" to your fellow man, and the idea that you should be a "mensch" -- an upright, honorable person who does good for his fellow man.  Bernie Maddoff was not a  typical Jew, he was an aberration,  loathed for the way he brought destruction to those who trusted in him.  Many of the Jewish people I have known personally are remarkable for their lifelong commitment to doing good in a sustained, disciplined way.  Something that I, as a petty, selfish bastard, admire and wonder at.

So, are you still meditating?  I find that meditating is like a daily therapy session.  I am becoming more and more aware that my "self" is actually a whole group of characters....  my mother's in there, and my father, and the frustrated, jealous, enraged little kid, and the philosopher who tries to escape pain by saying nothing has meaning, and a whole bunch of other fools.   Just being myself is like being at a big holiday family meal where everyone is screaming at each other and throwing food and sulking and so on.  Never a dull moment.

--edward

No comments:

Post a Comment